After Hideki Matsui played both ends of a doubleheader Friday night, the Yankees are becoming more optimistic about his return to the majors. Matsui homered in Class A Tampa’s 1-0 victory in the opener and was 0-for-2 with a walk in the nightcap. Matsui was scheduled to play again Saturday night. “He did great,” Joe Girardi said. “He went first to third and had to run hard a couple of times. Obviously, you’re curious to see how he feels (Saturday) to see how he recovered. He did hit a home run and it was no windblown homer.” Pat Roessler, the Yanks’ director of player development, was sending reports via text messages to Girardi after each of Matsui’s at-bats. “So we have a good feel,” Girardi said. “(Saturday) is a big day. We’ll take him back as soon as we can get him. So much of it depends on how he feels.” BRUISER: Johnny Damon had a purple bruise on the palm of his left hand, near the thumb, after Saturday’s game; it’s unclear what his status is for today’s game. Damon (1-for-6) had a wrap on his left leg before the game, but started at DH. Girardi said Damon had… Read full this story
- Shinnie: First win of the season is getting closer
- Your chance to 'get closer to farming' in Petworth
- MOTORCYCLING: Wilson getting closer to front of pack
- The weekend’s getting closer and the weather’s looking good
- New £1m boost for Whitefriargate as improvement works get closer
- A Bench in the Sun – getting closer to showtime!
- Lacey eager to get 'house in order' for crack at Dubs
- Family of Joey Dunlop in appeal for return of championship medal
- Ladies getting a kick out of the beautiful game
- New York puts Democrats step closer to Trump's tax returns
Hideki Matsui gets closer to returning have 312 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at August 16, 2008. This is cached page on Wordpress. If you want remove this page, please contact us.