MANILA, Philippines – Did you know that it was scriptwriter Jake Tordesillas who suggested to SPEED (the group of editors) that they call their awards Eddys (you know, something like Grammys, Tonys, Emmys, Oscars, etc.)? Sadly, Jake didn’t live long enough to witness the staging of the first Eddys Sunday night at the Kia Theater in Cubao, Quezon City, but SPEED honored him with a Posthumous Award received by Jake’s bosom buddy Maryo J. delos Reyes who was choked with emotion as he delivered a thank-you acceptance speech in behalf of Jake who died at 64 two weeks before the awards.
Also honored as Producer of the Year was Regal Matriarch Lily Monteverde who delivered the following speech:
This award holds a very special meaning to me because it comes from my dear group of editors from the entertainment press.
Let me take this opportunity to say that Regal Films owes a big part of its success to the showbiz media.
Regal is a film studio that started out from a crazy dream of mine. Eventually, it turned into a small business venture.
Today, Regal has been in the scene for more than four decades. It has produced over a thousand movies, braved many storms and hurdled countless challenges as well. But with God’s grace and your continued support, Regal and Mother Lily are still very much around.
All these would not have been possible if not for the generous help of the entertainment press and the editors, who firmly believed in my dreams, my vision.
I am so touched by this award I want to share it with all of you. This is yours as much as it is mine.
I am beyond grateful to you, my dear entertainment editors. I give back the honor to you for consistently supporting not just Regal Films but Philippine cinema as a whole.
I promise that as long as Mother Lily and her children are around, Regal will continue its tradition of sharing joy and happiness to the Filipino audience. It is far from over. We are far from over. Just when you think you have seen our best, I say you have seen nothing yet. This is just the beginning.
• Best Picture – Ang Babaeng Humayo
• Best Director – Lav Diaz (Ang Babaeng Humayo)
• Best Documentary – Sunday Beauty Queen
• Best Actor – Paolo Ballesteros (Die Beautiful)
• Best Actress – Vilma Santos (Everything About Her)
• Best Supporting Actor – John Lloyd Cruz (Ang Babaeng Humayo)
• Best Supporting Actress – Angel Locsin (Everything About Her)
• Best Musical Score – Everything About Her
• Best Sound – Seklusyon
• Best Theme Song – Saving Sally
• Best Visual Effects – Seklusyon
• Best Editing – Die Beautiful
• Best Production Design – Die Beautiful
• Best Cinematography – Seklusyon
• Best Screenplay – Everything About Her
• Joe Quirino Award – Boy Abunda
• Manny Pichel Award – Lav Diaz (Ang Babaeng Humayo)
• Producer of the Year – Mother Lily Monteverde
• Posthumous Award – Jake Tordesillas
The first Eddys remember Jake with an award have 487 words, post on www.philstar.com at July 11, 2017. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.