A majority of South Koreans support arming the country with nuclear weapons in response to North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons. The North has carried out five nuclear tests, most recently in September 2016. According to the North Korea watchers at the website 38 North, the DPRK’s Punggye-ri underground nuclear test site has maintained a high state of readiness since April and could conduct a test on short notice. © REUTERS / KCNAWhy North Korea’s Latest Missile Test Was a Humiliating Blow to US Missile DefensePyongyang has also continued to carry out missile tests with increased frequency, most recently firing the Hwasong-12 ballistic missile over northern Japan on August 29, the 14th test of 2017. It did so in spite of increased sanctions. Last month, the UN Security Council unanimously approved new sanctions on Pyongyang, which ban North Korean exports of coal, iron, iron ore, lead, lead ore and seafood, as well as restricting North Korean migrant workers abroad and joint ventures with North Korean companies. North Korea’s activity has led some in neighboring South Korea to demand nuclear weapons, as a deterrent against a possible nuclear attack. According to a poll conducted in July, over half of the population supports the idea that the South Korea should possess nuclear weapons. A lawmaker from the Liberty Korea Party, Yoon Young-seok, explained that South Koreans want to see a better balance of power between the South and the… Read full this story
- South Korea Travel Guide- Seoul for the Novice Traveler
- 10 Reasons To Visit South Korea
- 5 Top Reasons to Visit South Korea
- North Korea Demands Fuel Oil to Stop Making Nuclear Bombs?
- Korean Culture - Every Day Tasks in Seoul, South Korea
- South Korea, Japan's Spicer And Cheaper Cousin
- Attracting Foreign Students - The Case of South Korea
- Pick Up Your Cell Phone, Make That Call - Your Business Depends on It
- Make More-Spend More-Fear More
- North Korea - Yes, You Have Our Attention
Will South Korea Make Atomic Bomb? Seoul 'Fears It Can't Depend On US Alliance' have 327 words, post on sputniknews.com at September 2, 2017. This is cached page on Wordpress. If you want remove this page, please contact us.