FESTIVE drinks from coffee shops contain up to 14 spoonfuls of sugar per cup, new research has revealed.
The Christmas-themed beverages have been on sale since the beginning of the month, and some of them contain almost a quarter of an adult’s recommended daily calorie allowance.
Caffè Nero’s Belgian truffle hot chocolate contains the most sugar of the drinks analysed by online retailer onbuy.com.
With the drink reaching colossal sugar levels of 56.9g, it contains almost twice the recommended daily sugar allowance for an adult and equivalent to approximately 14 teaspoons of sugar.
The seasonal treat is worth 435 kcal which is almost a quarter of an adult’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) according to NHS guidelines.
Another Caffè Nero special also racked up the sugar levels – its Winter Spiced hot chocolate which contains 51.6g of sugar.
Pret a Manger’s seasonal Orange Hot Chocolate is also up in the ranks, containing a whopping 50.5g of sugar.
The sugar-filled drink is followed by their Mint Hot Chocolate at 50.2g, which is just under 13 teaspoons of sugar, equivalent to 452 calories.
Out of the top eight calorie-packed festive beverages, seven of them are hot chocolates.
For the research, the drinks selected contained semi-skimmed milk and the cup size opted for was regular, which represents roughly 12 oz.
Which Christmas drinks are the most dangerous?
- Caffè Nero Belgian Truffle hot chocolate: 435kcal (56.9g sugar)
- Caffè Nero Winter Spiced hot chocolate: 371kcl (51.6g sugar)
- Pret a Manger Orange hot chocolate: 454kcal (50.5 sugar)
- Pret a Manger Mint hot chocolate: 452kcal (50.2g sugar)
- Greggs Mint mocha: 363kcal (50g sugar)
- Greggs Mint hot chocolate: 363kcal (50g sugar)
- Costa Coffee Hazelnut Praline hot chocolate: 381kcal (38.9g sugar)
- Starbucks Salted Saramel Srownie hot chocolate: 319kcal (38.3g sugar)
- Starbucks Christmas Brulée latte: 247kcal (37.8g sugar)
- Starbucks Eggnogg latte: 272kcal (33.8 sugar)
At the other end of the scale, research discovered that Starbucks’s Toffee Nut Latte contains 28.3g of sugar, which is a 28.6g difference from the sugar heavy Belgian Truffle Hot Chocolate offered by Caffè Nero.
The NHS recommends a daily limit of seven teaspoons of sugar, or 30g, for anyone aged over 11.
Many critics say the coffee chains are partly to blame for Britain being the fattest nation in Western Europe.
Managing director of Onbuy.com Caz Paton said: “The fact that 55 per cent of the drinks looked at by OnBuy contain more than your recommended daily intake of sugar is enough to stop you from piling on the festive pounds.
Join Sun Savers to be in with the chance of winning a caravan worth over £14,000
AXE PINK TAX
How women pay MORE for vital essentials and how to avoid supermarket tricks
Are you paying too much for broadband? Here’s how to cut your bill now
Morrisons £7 prosecco named best supermarket fizz in taste test
Argos is selling a PROTEIN advent calendar for Christmas – and it costs £42
READY, SET, SHOP
Black Friday 2018 – what date does it start and where are the best deals?
“And although having one of these drinks once in a while is fine, having them daily might not be a wise choice for your health.”
Sun Online has contacted Caffè Nero and Pret a Manger for comment.
- Coffee Consumption in Russia
- 8 best hard coffees
- The Alamo Drafthouse is old enough to legally drink. Here are 21 movie and drink pairings to celebrate.
- Cutting back on sugar? A guide to sweetener choices
- Ask the Dentist: Would you put 20 teaspoons of sugar in a coffee and drink it?
- A man made racist comments to a woman in a hijab. This Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf refused to serve him.
- The big coffee con – high quality beans may not be what they seem, study shows
- Why you should drink water first thing every day
- New chocolate shop with guilt-free treats announces opening date in Nottingham
- Cook House, Newcastle's popular shipping container restaurant, is on the move
Coffee shop Christmas drinks contain up to 14 SPOONS of sugar – which is TWICE daily allowance have 666 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 10, 2018. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.