India’s spin king Ravichandran Ashwin on Sunday joined Sri Lankan great Muttiah Muralitharan as the fastest bowler to 350 Test wickets in the first match against South Africa in Visakhapatnam.
The off-spinner bowled overnight batsman Theunis de Bruyn for 10 early in the morning session on day five to achieve the milestone in his 66th Test.
Muralitharan also took the same number of matches to claim 350 wickets. The spin legend, now 47, retired in 2010 with 800 wickets.
The 33-year-old Ashwin, who returned to the Indian XI after playing against Australia last year, claimed eight wickets in the first South Africa Test.
He had bagged his 27th five-wicket haul on Friday.
In November 2017 Ashwin became the fastest bowler to reach the milestone of 300 Test wickets. He broke Australian pace ace Dennis Lillee’s record by achieving the feat in just 54 matches.
- India vs South Africa, 1st Test, Day 1: Rohit begins life as Test opener with century against hapless Proteas
- India vs South Africa 2nd Test, Day 3 Highlights: South Africa Bowled Out For 275, India Lead By 326 Runs
- India vs South Africa 2nd Test: India Take 326-Run Lead Despite Keshav Maharaj, Vernon Philander Heroics On Day 3
- India vs South Africa, 1st Test, Day 2: Mayank Agarwal's scintillating double ton puts IND in command
- India vs Australia Highlights 4th Test Day 4: Australia Trail India By 316 Runs At Stumps On Day 4
- India vs South Africa, 1st Test: Indian born Senuran Muthusamy makes debut for Proteas
- India vs South Africa, 1st Test: Indian-origin Proteas cricketer makes dream Test debut
- Dale Steyn retires: South Africa's leading Test wicket-taker in Opta numbers
- Ranji Trophy: Juyal hits ton to take UP to 232/5; Ashwin stars with a five-wicket haul
- India vs South Africa 1st Test: Mayanak Agarwal's double ton to puts IND in command
India's Ashwin joint fastest to 350 Test wickets have 283 words, post on en.rfi.fr at October 6, 2019. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.