PIERCE COUNTY, WA — Friday will be a special day in Pierce County, as 14 foster children get formally adopted into 10 families. The ceremony at Pierce County Juvenile Court coincides with National Adoption Day, an annual event in Washington since 2000. More than 9,200 children are currently in foster care in Washington state, with 1,700 in Pierce County.
“To date, Juvenile Court has celebrated the adoption of 340 children into forever homes,” said TJ Bohl, Juvenile Court administrator. “This would not be possible without the loving families in our community who have opened their hearts to children who are in need of a permanent home.
Of the 9,200 children currently in Washington’s foster care system, 1,800 are “legally free,” and awaiting families to adopt them. National Adoption Day started with just six Washington counties in 2005 and has since grown to 22 counties. The annual event always takes place the week before Thanksgiving, alongside similar celebrations nationwide. The public is welcome to attend all planned celebrations.
According to the Department of Children, Youth and Families, approximately 10 percent of the state’s legally free children will be adopted during the public celebrations Friday. Almost 2,500 children have been adopted during National Adoption Day in Washington since its inception.
ADOPTION DAY EVENTS
- Britain’s loneliest dog is still looking for his forever home after SEVEN years – are you perfect for loving Stevie?
- These San Antonio-based puppies are up for adoption and in need of a good home
- Dog who'd been in a shelter for more than 6 years – longer than any employee there – finally gets adopted
- WATCH: Senior Dog Adopted After Spending Half Her Life in Shelter
- Good News! Maryland's High Schools Rank No. 1, Kids Rescued from House Fires + Could MD Native Be Face of $20?
- Sunday Conversation: Allison Hulett, president and CEO of the Montgomery County Food Bank
- When Do Pools Open in Montgomery County for the Summer?
- ICYMI: When Do Pools Open in Montgomery County for Summer?
- PG&E outages: Two more Bay Area counties added to planned black-outs Wednesday, Thursday
- Can YOU give one of the UK's most unwanted cats a home? Charity shares 13 moggies waiting to be adopted - including a tabby that was hit by a truck and a chubby kitty on a diet
National Adoption Day: 14 Pierce County Kids Get Forever Homes have 377 words, post on patch.com at November 21, 2019. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.