The 24-year-old is a self-confessed fan of Kohli spoke about his aspiration to emulate the world’s No.1 Test and ODI batsman in an interview to PTI.
“Look he (Kohli) has already achieved a lot. He is a legend in his country. Honestly there is no comparison with me right now but eventually I also want to get where he is today,” Azam said.
Babar, who scored his second Test hundred in the last three game on Sunday at against Sri Lanka in Rawalpindi, said he wanted to be a batsman who, like Kohli, could win more matches for his team.
“I don’t feel any pressure if anyone compares me with Kohli or (Steve) Smith. I am now more focused on my batting and I spend hours watching videos of my innings. I catch my mistakes and then I try to ensure I don’t commit them again the next time,” he said.
Babar, who came of age in Australia with a Test hundred at Brisbane and 97 in the day-night Test at Adelaide, said the traditional format remains the most difficult.
“When I got out cheaply to a bad shot in the first innings at Brisbane, I was very cross with myself because I realised no top batman should get out like that. In the following innings I made it a point to be patient and build my innings although playing strokes comes naturally to me,” he explained.
“Someday I am looking at a triple century. You need to set yourself goals as all top players do. I have set myself the target of becoming consistent in
Babar said returning to play Test cricket in Pakistan was an ambition fulfilled for him.
“We have played T20 and ODI matches in Pakistan but playing a Test is a totally different experience. Scoring a century in front of my home crowd was the icing on the cake for me,” he said.
The 25-year old, who has a
“…I was not sure about myself. But things improved with time. Now I am relishing the challenge of playing red ball cricket. I have learnt the virtues of patience. White ball cricket, I think, comes more naturally for me,” he stated.
- Sanjay Bangar wants Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri to back Kuldeep Yadav
- Babar Azam calls innings against Australia 'best of his career'
- Will seek Virat Kohli's "permission" to start Test series in Brisbane: Tim Paine
- From careless swipe to century: 'Test cricket teaches you all this', says Babar Azam
- ‘Petty’: Virat Kohli hits out at critics questioning his equation with coach Ravi Shastri
- "Ask Me in 7 Years": Virat Kohli On Comparisons With Legendary West Indies Teams
- ‘When lies are spoken so much...’: Virat Kohli opens up on Anushka Sharma-Farokh Engineer controversy
- Ravi Shastri "Chilled Out", Not Bothered About Someone Sitting At Home And Trolling Him, Says Virat Kohli
- It all started with Dada's team: Virat Kohli pays tribute to Sourav Ganguly on India's Test success
- India vs England: Virat Kohli Can't Do It Every Time, He's Human, Says Sunil Gavaskar
I want to get where Virat Kohli is today: Babar Azam have 559 words, post on ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com at December 17, 2019. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.