Not that they were flying under the radar recently, but the San Francisco 49ers have the whole country’s attention now that they’re in Super Bowl LIV (albeit as underdogs). The Niners have looked dominant all season and are full of stars, too: Four players were voted to the Pro Bowl and another eight were chosen as alternates. The only real way to judge an NFL player’s star quality, however, is by how many fans buy his jersey.
OK, so that’s not true, but it’s a lazy, hot-take way to introduce this fact: Three 49ers stars are among the top 30 NFL players in terms of jersey and merchandise sales, according to the NFL Players Association. If you’re an avid Niners fan, you can probably guess who they are.
15. Jimmy Garoppolo
22. George Kittle
29. Nick Bosa
It’s no surprise that the Niners’ dashing quarterback ranks among the top 20, as dashing quarterbacks tend to be quite popular. Kittle is a two-time Pro Bowlers who wears shirts featuring his shirtless teammate, and Nick Bosa was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. All of this checks out.
If you’ve somehow made it this far into the season without any of their jerseys, your wallet is probably thanking you. But now’s a decent time to pick one up, too, as you’ll get the Super Bowl LIV commemorative patch on jerseys, and you can tell people you were a fan before the 49ers won their sixth Super Bowl (assuming that happens). You can get their jerseys in a couple places:
The Niners’ opponent in the Super Bowl, the Kansas City Chiefs, have only two players among the top 50 in terms of jersey and merch sales. But one of those players is Patrick Mahomes, who ranks No. 1 on that list. Chiefs tight tend Travis Kelce came in at No. 35. Here’s the rest of the top 10, just for kicks:
- Patrick Mahomes
- Tom Brady
- Ezekiel Elliott
- Baker Mayfield
- Odell Beckham, Jr.
- Khalil Mack
- Aaron Rodgers
- Dak Prescott
- Saquon Barkley
- JuJu Smith-Schuster
Of course, you can already get 49ers NFC Champions gear, too—or you can wait to see if they win the Super Bowl. It’s your money, so you do you.
SFGATE participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.
Ryan Craggs is the director of content marketing for Hearst Newspapers. Email him at [email protected]
- Revealed: Top-selling NFL jersey of 2018
- NFL Draft 2019: Raiders select DE Clelin Ferrell with 4th overall pick
- Ford to restart production of best-selling F-150
- Nguyen Nhat Anh's best-selling novel presented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- For the first time, the 3 best-selling beers in America are light beers. Can craft brewers catch up?
- These are the 12 best new cars for 2019 that cost $75,000 or less
- The 8 Best Dream Cars of 2019 for Entrepreneurs
- Women Love the NFL: Data Shows Best-Selling Jerseys Nationwide Among Females
- 'Red Dead Redemption 2' beat out 'Call of Duty' to become 2018's best-seller — these were the 20 best-selling games games of the year
- NFL awards 2019 compensatory picks; Eagles collect a pair