WANT to know if someone has blocked you on WhatsApp? There are some important clues to look out for.
WhatsApp won’t directly tell you if you’ve been blocked, but several giveaways are coded into the app.
How to see if you’ve been blocked on WhatsApp
Firstly, there’s no direct way to check if you’ve been blocked. WhatsApp won’t notify you at all.
However, you will no longer be able to see a contact’s online status in the chat window.
You will also be unable to see their “last seen” indicator.
Of course, both of these markers can have other causes beyond a block – so they’re not guaranteed proof.
You also won’t be able to see any changes to a contact’s profile photo.
This is useful, as you can compare your phone to someone else’s handset with the same contact to see if there’s a difference in profile pictures.
However, this technique only works if a person has actually changed their photo.
When you send messages to someone who has blocked you, your message will be marked as sent – but never delivered.
And any calls you make won’t go through.
Both of these indicators can also be caused by a person having no internet connection, however. They don’t mean you’ve blocked.
Again, checking your sent-message status against another person who has also sent a text to your contact is an easy way to check.
Of course, you might both be blocked – and then you’ve got real issues.
It’s also worth considering why you’ve been blocked in the first place.
If you’ve been harassing or abusing someone, you should stop trying to contact that person.
It might also be a hint that you’re really annoying on WhatsApp, so maybe try to fix your rogue behaviour.
WhatsApp – a quick history
Here’s what you need to know…
- WhatsApp was created in 2009 by computer programmers Brian Acton and Jan Koum – former employees of Yahoo
- It’s one of the most popular messaging services in the world
- Koum came up with the name WhatsApp because it sounded like “what’s up”
- After a number of tweaks the app was released with a messaging component in June 2009, with 250,000 active users
- It was originally free but switched to a paid service to avoid growing too fast. Then in 2016, it became free again for all users
- Facebook bought WhatsApp Inc in February 2014 for $19.3billion (£14.64bn)
- The app is particularly popular because all messages are encrypted during transit, shutting out snoopers
- As of January 2018, WhatsApp has over 1.5billion users globally
How to block someone on WhatsApp?
There are two simple ways to block someone on WhatsApp.
The first is to open your chat with a contact, then tap their name.
Then choose Block Contact and they’ll be blocked until you change the setting.
Alternatively, you can go into Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked, and then add a contact to your block list.
MOST READ IN TECH
In 10 mins on TikTok I saw self-harm, girls offering sex & boys wielding knives
Putting wet iPhone in rice WON’T fix it – these are the things you should be doing
Only way to ‘stop Amazon Alexa recording you at home is to BIN it’
Robot that can ‘feel pain’ paves way for machines who think they’re alive
HEAR US OUT
How to hear hidden Alexa recordings of your conversations – and delete them
A good fit
The best Fitbits to buy in 2020
In other news, find out some of the best WhatsApp tricks you can try today.
WhatsApp is about to start showing you ads, and people are threatening to delete their accounts.
And we recently revealed the new WhatsApp features coming to your phone in 2020.
Do you know any great WhatsApp tips or tricks? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
- Telegram chat app blocked in Russia
- Thought WhatsApp was secure? This creepy app has tracks your activity
- WhatsApp launches new group chat feature
- WhatsApp DOWN – users across the globe complain about app not working this morning
- WhatsApp warning issued over new scam that tricks you into handing over details
- WhatsApp’s new feature will help you stop spreading HOAX messages to your mates
- How to stop WhatsApp eating up all your phone data allowance
- WhatsApp warning over new bug that affects your contacts and messages
- You can now do group video calls on WhatsApp – here’s how
- The World’s Most Powerful App Is Squandering Its Lead
WhatsApp clues that reveal if someone has blocked you on the chat app have 796 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 14, 2020. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.