A division bench of Justices SS Shinde and SP Tavade, on Monday, asked the NIA and state to clarify their stand based on the submissions made by Rao’s lawyer that he “was almost on his deathbed.” He has been in custody for over one-and-a-half years for his alleged role in the Elgar Parishad-Maoists links case. Rao is currently undergoing treatment at
The bench, however, asked if it would be counterproductive to move Rao if he was in such a critical condition. The court questioned Pasbola’s request to let Rao’s family members see the Covid-19 positive patient. Pasbola said the family members would take precautions and see him from a distance.
Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, appearing for the NIA, said that Rao was now being treated in a multispeciality hospital and that as far as he knew
Rao has filed two petitions in the high court. The first seeks directions to the state to produce all his medical reports from the state-run JJ Hospital, where he was admitted in May but discharged hurriedly on June 2 and sent back to Taloja jail in neighbouring Navi Mumbai. The second seeks bail on health grounds.
The same bench also heard a petition filed by Rao’s co-accused in the case,
The court directed the prison authorities and the NIA to respond to the plea by July 23. It noted that the accused are lodged in the Taloja jail where there have been cases of inmates testing positive for coronavirus as well as deaths.
Rao and nine other activists were arrested in the
- HC asks govt for plan to cover schools with cams
- Hamilton School District denies parent appeal of HHS students' suspensions for HC skit behavior
- Gov't blocks cyclone relief efforts
- Blame ethanol? Use of corn-based fuel may contribute to rising food costs, says gov't panel
- Stop the reverse Robin Hood: Gov't keeps lining the pockets of the haves with the have-nots' money
- South Korean gov't: 2 million 'addicted' to the internet
- Short reviews: 'Way Back,' 'Woodmans,' 'Applause,' 'Gabi on the Roof in July,' 'Housemaid'
- Women's march activists, one week later, seek to build a movement
- Chunk of $6M from Lufthansa heist was spent on animated film project about ferrets, mob rat claims in book
- Horror in Harlem: Dead woman found stuffed in suitcase on sidewalk, cops hunt suspect caught on tape
Can Varavara Rao’s family see him, HC asks govt have 522 words, post on mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com at July 21, 2020. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.