#Kim Jong UnAfter Trump setbacks, Kim Jong Un starts over with Joe Biden
#Kim Jong UnMired in crises, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un to open big party meeting
#Kim Jong UnN Korean kids to spend 90 mins a day learning about Kim’s ‘greatness’
#Kim Jong UnKim vows to overcome typhoon damage
#Kim Jong UnKim Jong Un calls for readiness against typhoon, virus
#Kim Jong UnNorth Korea releases new pictures of Kim Jong-Un after reports of him being in coma
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada 8 April 7 Highlights: Prashanth Sambargi Gets Into Huge Argument With Manju Pavagad
- Sports India draw 4-4 with Argentina in a tense practice match
- Automobiles MG ZS Astor SUV Spotted Testing In Bangalore Again Ahead Of Launch: Pics & Details
- Finance How to Block HDFC Credit Card?
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In April 2021
- Technology List of Apps To Watch IPL For Free | Apps To Watch IPL 2021 Live Streaming Free Without Subscription
- Lifestyle 10 Health Benefits Of Lingonberries With Ways To Consume And A Recipe
- Education IIT Madras Offering Artificial Intelligence And Data Science Internships, Stipend Up To Rs 60,000
Seoul, Apr 07: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has acknowledged his country was facing the “worst-ever situation” as he addressed thousands of grassroots members of his ruling party during a major political conference in Pyongyang.
Experts say Kim is facing perhaps his toughest moment as he approaches a decade in rule, with North Korea’s coronavirus lockdown unleashing further shock on an economy devastated by decades of mismanagement and crippling U.S.-led sanctions over his nuclear weapons programme.
The North’s official Korean Central News Agency said Kim made the comments during an opening speech at a meeting of the Workers’ Party’s cell secretaries on Tuesday.
“Improving the people’s living standards … even in the worst-ever situation in which we have to overcome unprecedentedly numerous challenges depends on the role played by the cells, the grassroots organizations of the party,” Kim said.
He urged members to carry out the decisions made at a party congress in January, when he vowed to bolster his nuclear deterrent in face of US pressure and announced a new five-year national development plan. The congress came months after Kim during another political conference showed unusual candor by acknowledging that his plans to improve the economy weren’t succeeding.
During Tuesday’s speech, Kim also criticised the party’s grassroots units for unspecified “shortcomings” that should be immediately corrected to ensure the “healthy and sustainable” development of the party.
Party cells, which consist of five to 30 members, are the smallest units of party authority that oversee the works and lives at factories and other places. The network is an important tool for Workers’ Party to perpetuate its power. The previous conference of cell secretaries was held in 2017.
The economic setbacks have left Kim with nothing to show for his ambitious diplomacy with former President Donald Trump, which collapsed over disagreements in lifting sanctions for the North’s denuclearization steps.
The North has so far rejected the Biden administration’s overture for talks, saying that Washington must discard its “hostile” policies first, and dialed up pressure by resuming tests of ballistic missiles last month after a yearlong pause.
- Transcript: Correspondents Panel on "Face the Nation," December 29, 2019
- Life at 'the tip of the spear': defiant Guam refuses to cower to Kim
- Trump vows Iraq 'will not be a Benghazi' after Iran-backed embassy raid
- Twin foreign policy crises greet Trump as election year dawns
- Trump’s Post-Game North Korea Interviews Were Shockingly Bad
Facing “worst-ever situation,” saying Kim Jong Un have 843 words, post on www.oneindia.com at April 7, 2021. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.