Euro 2020: England fans break through security at Wembley
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Metropolitan Police said its officers were injured “while they confronted volatile crowds” at Wembley Stadium. Fans stormed the arena in northwest London after ramming the stadium’s outer fences and, after the tie, crowds became rowdy in Leicester Square in the centre of the capital.
Yobs threw beer bottles in the chaos in a packed Leicester Square, reports Wales Online .
Scotland Yard tweeted: “Our policing operation for the Euro 2020 final is drawing to a close. Thank you to the tens of thousands of fans who had good spirits and behaved responsibly.
“We made 49 arrests during the day for a variety of offences. We will have officers on hand throughout the night.
“Frustratingly, 19 of our officers were injured while they confronted volatile crowds.
“This is wholly unacceptable.”
England fans clash with police in Piccadilly Circus (Image: PA)
A fan stands with police in Leicester Square (Image: PA)
Thulase Sivasothy, from south London, left Leicester Square after it became “too much” on Sunday night.
The 23-year-old man said: “We’ve just come out of there (Leicester Square) because it was too much. They’re trying to barricade the road and everything.
“We were just in Soho now and it’s crazy.
“There’s so much passion in London.”
Fans had spent the day celebrating England’s first major tournament final in 55 years (Image: PA)
The Football Association has, meanwhile, condemned the racial abuse some England players have suffered following the loss.
It said it was “appalled” with the behaviour of the minority of fans on social media.
Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka all failed from the spot on Sunday night as England went down on penalties .
They had the lead on two minutes after Luke Shaw rifled home but Italy, who are now unbeaten in 34 games, equalised in the second half.
- Wisbech pub brawl leaves police officers injured
- 48 police officers injured at Yellow Vest protests in Toulouse (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
- Police arrest 14 England fans in Prague after Euro 2020 qualifier
- Burnley men arrested after Lancashire Police officer injured in hit and run
- Mick McCarthy happy as 'magic fingers' hand Republic of Ireland easier Euro 2020 draw
- Dozens arrested in European crackdown on Italian mob
- The hardest and easiest Euro 2020 qualifying groups Wales can now get
- Extra police officers on patrol following four murders in four days
- Halifax police officer arrested after allegedly threatening woman
- Officer injured during garage gunfire
Dozens of arrests and 19 police officers injured as violence spoils Euro 2020 final have 481 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 12, 2021. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.