Over 200 protesting farmers reached Jantar Mantar in Delhi for ‘Farmers Parliament’ on Thursday morning. Farmer leader Rakesh Tikait, national spokesperson of BKU, has also reached Jantar Mantar.
The area saw heavy police deployment with nearly 2,000 security personnel, including Delhi Police and paramilitary forces.
In the media enclosure at Jantar Mantar, a man claiming to be a journalist has been detained after a ruckus broke out in the media enclosure near the site.
He allegedly started shouting slogans against Godi media, and struck out with a camera tripod, thus injuring a journalist. The police forcibly escorted the disrupter out.
Meanwhile, over two hours after the start of the protest, journalists are yet to be allowed to enter the protest area.
Security at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi has been tightened in view of the protest by farmers against the Centre’s three agricultural reform laws amid the monsoon session of Parliament, officials said.
Jantar Mantar is a few metres away from the Parliament House where the monsoon session is underway.
A group of 200 farmers travelled to Jantar Mantar from their Singhu border demonstration site in buses with a police escort and hold protest there from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM), an umbrella body of farmer unions which has been spearheading the protest against the three farm laws, had been asked to give an undertaking that all COVID-19 norms would be followed and the stir would be peaceful.
This is the first time since the violence in the national capital during a tractor rally on January 26 that the authorities have granted permission to the protesting farmer unions to hold a demonstration in the city.
Thousands of farmers from across the country have been agitating at three Delhi border points — Singhu, Tikri and Ghazipur — against the three farm laws that they claim will do away with the minimum support price system, leaving them at the mercy of big corporations.
Over 10 rounds of talks with the government, which has been projecting the laws at major agricultural reforms, have failed to break the deadlock between the two sides.
- PICTURES: Tear Gas, Fires, and Riot Police at Paris Yellow Vest Protest
- Lebanon lawmakers vote on budget, protesters up the pressure
- Macedonian parliament starts debate on name deal with Greece
- Mark Zuckerberg EU Parliament Testimony: Livestream Info, Start Time For Facebook CEO's Meeting
- US Citizens In Sri Lanka Warned Of Possible Violence Amid Political Crisis
- Macron unveils ‘great national debate’ to calm protests
- Jordan Senate Meets as Protests Snowball over IMF-Backed Austerity
- Investors asking questions amid ‘yellow vest’ crisis: French minister
- Thai state TV in balancing act amid protests
- ‘Amazon has got to go’: Protesters swarmed City Hall as New York’s city council held its first hearing about Amazon’s HQ2 deal
Protesting farmers reach Jantar Mantar amid Parliament session have 484 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.