Karnal: "No one on this side of the barricade should be seen without their heads smashed," the Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Haryana's Karnal Ayush Sinha was allegedly caught on camera instructing the policemen to use force against the farmers who were on their way to protest against a BJP meeting being attended by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, state BJP president Om Prakash Dhankar and other senior leaders of the party.
Around 10 people were reportedly injured Saturday (August 28) as police allegedly lathi-charged a group of farmers heading towards Karnal.
Several pictures of bleeding farmers surfaced which forced even the party's own senior leader Varun Gandhi to question the SDM's action.
"I hope this video is edited and the DM did not say this… Otherwise, this is unacceptable in democratic India to do to our own citizens," Gandhi said in a tweet.
Watch the video here:
I hope this video is edited and the DM did not say this… Otherwise, this is unacceptable in democratic India to do to our own citizens. pic.twitter.com/rWRFSD2FRH
— Varun Gandhi (@varungandhi80) August 28, 2021
Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM) leader Yogendra Yadav shared pictures of multiple farmers having sustained injuries. He called out the police and the state government for their action.
"Brutal police lathicharge on farmers in Gharonda (Karnal), Haryana. They were protesting against the visit of CM Khattar and other BJP leaders to Karnal. This is the true face of Haryana police," Yadav tweeted.
Breaking: Brutal police lathicharge on farmers in Gharonda (Karnal), Haryana. They were protesting against the visit of CM Khattar and other BJP leaders to Karnal. pic.twitter.com/nj6HzmLlXg
— Yogendra Yadav (@_YogendraYadav) August 28, 2021
The state police drew severe criticism for the action against the farmers, and several roads were blocked at different places in protest.
The affected routes included the Fatehabad-Chandigarh, Gohana-Panipat and the Jind-Patiala highways, and the Ambala-Chandigarh and the Hisar-Chandigarh national highways.
Several protesters present at the site near the Bastara toll plaza around 15 km from Karnal claimed to have witnessed 8-10 people sustain injuries in the police action.
The police, however, said that only mild force was used as the protesters were blocking the highway, affecting traffic movement.
Citing section 144 of the CrPC imposed in the area banning assembly of five or more people, the police said they made several announcements over loudspeakers, declaring the gathering by the protesters “unlawful”.
- Horrific moment ‘cops shoot Portland protester in the head with rubber bullet leaving him with gruesome injury’
- Police fire tear gas at Portland protesters as they return to Downtown on the 77th night of demonstrations as neighbors complain of violent riots in the suburbs
- Exclusive: Video Shows Austin Police Kneeled on Teenager's Neck During Arrest a Day After Saying Such Restraints Would Be Banned
- Kenosha burns: BLM protesters set light to Department of Corrections building and local businesses while looters run riot in protest at Jacob Blake police shooting
- New footage shows Jacob Blake brawling with cops before being shot as two white Wisconsin officers are placed on leave while police chief calls Gov. Tony Evers 'wholly irresponsible' for condemning law enforcement
- Three other cops involved in George Floyd killing to appear in court TODAY after being charged with aiding and abetting murder- but the time is changed so it doesn't clash with his televised memorial
- Portland protester with long rap sheet who is on the run from cops after kicking unconscious a truck driver BEGS people on social media to give him money in case he gets jailed
- The Latest: Georgia police chief on leave amid investigation
- WRAPUP 5-Thousands take to Washington streets in protest against U.S. police violence
- Looted shops and burnt out businesses: Kenosha, Wisconsin, becomes latest city to suffer unrest as violent protesters react to cops shooting and injuring black father Jacob Blake - as Gov. Tony Evers deploys National Guard and orders 8pm curfew
Haryana police brutality: Karnal SDM orders cops to smash heads of protesting farmers – Watch footage have 686 words, post on zeenews.india.com at August 29, 2021. This is cached page on WP Discuss. If you want remove this page, please contact us.